Lonza expanding operations in Greenwood County
February 2, 2021
$53.7 million investment will create 30 new jobs
Lonza, a world leading supplier to the pharmaceutical, biotech and nutrition markets, today announced plans to expand operations in Greenwood County. The $53.7 million investment will create 30 new jobs over the next five years.
Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, Lonza harnesses science and technology to create products that enhance the overall quality of life for patients and consumers around the world.
Located at 535 North Emerald Road, the company’s Greenwood location manufactures various Lonza brands, notably Capsugel products, along with innovative finished dosage forms solutions and branded nutritional ingredients for the global pharmaceutical and health supplement markets. The expansion will increase the capacity of existing operations and bring new cutting-edge manufacturing technologies to the site.
The expansion is expected to be completed in stages through 2025. Individuals interested in joining the Lonza team should visit the company’s careers webpage.
“We have been part of the Greenwood community since 1967 and have built up the site as a center of excellence within our global network for production of capsules and health ingredients. We have an experienced and committed workforce here, and our decision to expand in Greenwood is based on this strong foundation of know-how and expertise.” -Lonza Vice President of Operations Travis Dover
“South Carolina’s life sciences industry is one that presents significant growth opportunities within our borders, and today’s announcement by Lonza is proof of that. We congratulate this great longtime business partner on their latest expansion and wish them much success in the Greenwood community.”-Secretary of Commerce Bobby Hitt
“South Carolina has always been a leader in the industrial and mechanical industry. For the last 50 years Lonza, a pharmaceutical giant has expanded this leadership for our state, and has given Greenwood County a front row seat to experience it. We are proud to say that this admired global company continues to grow its core business and expand into new markets. With their culture and vision, and our commitment, the opportunities are endless.” -Greenwood County Councilwoman Melissa Spencer
FIVE FAST FACTS
• Lonza is expanding operations in Greenwood County. This investment is part of Lonza’s overall strategy to upgrade its entire global manufacturing network earlier announced in October 2020.
• The $53.7 million investment will create 30 new jobs over the next five years.
• Lonza is a world leading supplier to the pharmaceutical, biotech and nutrition markets.
• Located at 535 North Emerald Road in Greenwood, S.C. where Lonza produces a broad portfolio of capsules, innovative finished dosage forms solutions, and branded nutritional ingredients for the global pharmaceutical and health supplement markets.
• Individuals interested in joining the Lonza team should visit the company’s careers webpage.